Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Ever Fixed Mark of Love


Last night I had a wonderful evening. I was at a dinner party given by friends of ours allowing us to meet another wonderful couple. I am sure both these couples will make the blog again as I really did have a splendid time. The night was arranged for us all to enjoy dinner then watch the last episode of Lost which most of you know is my absolute favourite show. The last episode for me is not so much about answers but about the power of love. I am fascinated by love, how it works and how it makes us work. In Lost (no spoilers here) love was the constant helping those who were lost remember and find their way back. Love was a powerful motivator for those on the Island. Love was sought after and ferociously defended. Love was indeed a powerful theme on the show.


Earlier in the evening part of the conversation was spent on Shakespeare, I know some of you just rolled your eyes and almost fell asleep, but for me (who happens to owns a William Shakespeare bobblehead) ... thrilling. As always, whenever Shakespeare is mentioned my oh so impressionable mind starts quoting the only sonnet I have memorized (in a British accent nonetheless). I have included a few of my favourite lines to show you my minds meanderings

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O, no! it is an ever-fixed mark,
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;

Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.


hang on folks..there will be continuity in this blog I promise

This morning I sat on my front porch and spent time reading my Bible like I often do but this time in the Psalms. I was reading Psalm 61 one of my all time favourites when I noticed an amazing image. The image is one of God taking us under His Wings to give us shelter. I have a very visual mind and meditated on this action, God needs to draw us to Himself to give us this Shelter, He needs to bring us closer to Him else we risk not receiving the full shelter He can provide. I love that image, I remember the many times I have pulled Anya closer to me when I wanted to secure her, or show her love, it is an powerful image for me. God reminded me today of the qualities of His love. He is my constant. He is my forever. He is my ever fixed mark. He will never alter when I do. He will never bend when I think I do not need Him, His love is timeless, changeless and constant.

I am guessing the great minds of this world like the creators of Lost and William Shakespeare all know something of the power of love, as they have captured some of the most amazing moments of it through their art. God however wants more than just human love for us, after all, relationships can fail, people can be lost and forgiveness can be scarce. God wants us to know His love as our ever fixed mark and our constant so that we can experience life under His wing in the comfort of His shelter.

Shine on my Friends and know you are loved

No comments:

Post a Comment