Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Immersed but still thirsty



John 4:13

“Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

I sit here at the pool watching my daughter in an intense workout session and these words have come to my mind. I have been here at the pool for a total of 6 hours today. 1 hour workout for myself, 3.5 hours teaching in the water and now 1.5 hours watching my daughter train. I find myself immersed in and around water all day and yet I still thirst. I thirst for drinkable water. Knowing my water bottle and despite the fact I am surrounded by water has run dry I expect a long wait to find a source which quenches my thirst. The water I have immersed myself today is not for consumption but it taunts me with the beautiful sound of splashes making me crave pure clear water all the more. I want to drink deeply but know it will not satisfy.

This pool has reminded me that it is not just swimming in which I have immersed myself. I immerse myself with projects, friends, sports, family and the list continues. I report that most of the things I tend to immerse myself with are good, and beneficial yet they lack ultimate satisfaction. The verse today reminded me I need to immerse myself first in my relationship with God. When I fail to do that first even these most joyful experiences in life leave me wanting.

Jesus has promised to quench our thirst with water that satisfies our thirst for good. Yet I live a life so immersed with other things I often find myself in a state of discontent and always looking for more things to try. Things that while good are not lasting joy. I am not bashing good things, not at all they all have a place and a time, but I convicted at this pool today that I have immersed myself so much in the other things in my life that Jesus is taking a back seat and my thirst has continued to grow to the point of desperation.

I thirst to the point of feeling parched and dehydrated. I have staggered around exhausted fighting weariness, and now here thirsty at a pool, I am reminded to drink deeply from the well Jesus provides. He reminds me to find contentment in Him first, the only pure water, the only drink that satisfies my thirst.

Shine On my Friends, drink deeply and be content.

No comments:

Post a Comment